Don’t worry you are not alone. Headaches are one of the most common issues in Australia, with around 15 percent of us taking painkillers for a headache at any given time.
However, this DOES NOT mean that headaches should be pushed through or are normal. Medication in many cases will not solve the cause of your headache rather it will just dull the pain, meaning that your headaches are likely to return.
What causes Headaches?
There can be many causes of headaches that can affect you. Tension headaches and migraines are the most common forms. Both these can be coming from either a cervical (neck) joint issue or even muscles causing pain. Further, there are other types of headaches that can be found including sinus headaches, rebound headaches, and exertion headaches.
How do you know what you have and how do you treat it?
A well-trained and skilled physiotherapist will be able to assess your headaches and come to a conclusion on their most likely cause of your headache.
Once a cause has been identified your skilled physiotherapist should be able to begin a treatment plan. This treatment plan will be specific to you as not all people will respond the same way to a certain treatment. Some of the possible treatments methods may include:
- Manual therapy to restore normal joint mobility.
- Evidence-based strengthening exercises to target muscles that stabilise and control the affected joints of the neck.
- Soft tissue treatment techniques and/or dry needling to alleviate trigger points.
- Postural exercises helping you to avoid the positions that produce your problem in the first place.
- Ergonomic advice to ensure that your environment (such as your desk set-up) is not a major contributor to your problem.
Evidence has shown these to be a very effective treatment of headaches. This will leave you headache and migraine-free. With a complete rehabilitation process, you will also be left with a highly reduced risk of getting further headaches in the future.
For more information, or if you feel you could benefit from some treatment for your migraines or headaches, please get in contact with us today.