Speed and agility are very important for ball sports athletes. Having poor agility and speed can come from many different aspects including poor balance, poor muscular power, and poor coordination. Having any of these may lead to major injuries occurring including ACL injuries, meniscal injuries, muscular strains, or tendon sprains. But to improve these areas sometimes it’s hard to think of drills that may help. Below are some great drills to help improve your speed and agility, to help reduce your risk of injury.
These drills only require cones and somebody (or your own brain) to help call out directions.
1. 4 corner drill
- Set up a 5m X 5m square with a cone for each corner. Stand directly in the middle facing any particular direction. Label each corner 1,2,3,4. With 1 being forward left and the rest clockwise from there.
- Begin by having a fast jog on the spot and wait for the person helping you to call out 1,2,3, or 4. Whichever cone is called, sprint to that corner and back to the centre as fast as you can, then proceed to continue with the fast jog.
- Repeat this process for 1 minute, then give yourself a 30-second rest. Complete this 5 times.
2. Zig zag drill
- Place a cone down at your feet, take 2 steps forward and then 5 steps to the left. Place another cone and repeat but to the right. Continue to complete this until you have used your cones.
- Start from the first cone and sprint your way through the course zig-zagging through the cones as fast and you can finish with a 5m sprint.
- Repeat this 10 times walking back between each sprint
3. Crossover hop
- Start by making a line with your cones 10m long. Start at 1 end of the line and hop side to side over the cones until you have made it to 10m. Turn around and then repeat on your other leg.
- Create a 10m x 10m square with a cone for each corner.
- Start at the bottom left corner (1).
- Label the cones in your head 1,2,3,4 starting 1 and your feet and then clockwise from there.
- Sprint to each cone in this order 3,2,4,1 as fast as you can. Give yourself 10 seconds rest and then repeat complete this 5 times.
- Start by placing a cone at your feet, walk 10 steps forward, turn to the left and then 3 steps to the left, Place a cone here. Repeat in the opposite direction, until your cones have been used.
- Sprint forwards and backwards cone to cone and then the same in the reverse direction.
- Give yourself 20s rest and then repeat.
If you want further drills and progressions to help improve your performance or decrease your risk of injuries. Do not hesitate to get in contact with us, and we will get you heading in the right direction towards reaching your goals.